The Blues Still Own Me
8th October. Air Force Day.
Ever since I got married I have heard stories of how my husband, as a young boy, would run to look up into the skies if he so much as heard fighter jets, helicopters or any plane taking off into the blue skies. Staying close to an Air Force airfield, this was a constant thing. I have heard how my mother-in-law would run after him to feed this little boy as he was lost in fascination with any and all aircraft. His dream was to become a Pilot. Flying, that is it. That was his Destiny. And achieve it he did!
Miles and miles away, other than rudimentary reading about the three Services, I had little or no knowledge, background or context about Air Force life. Getting married to him and coming into the folds of the Indian Air Force changed me like nothing else. Coming from a city-led life, taking most daily comforts for granted, the exposure to the Air Force way of life was an eye-opener. Many comforts which seemed almost basic were a luxury, and so many things we so casually took for granted in our insulated city lives became something special to look forward to. For context, as a new bride, when I walked into our Leh accommodation, there was no electricity, no running water, it was a room with mud walls, tin roofs and all of these were a matter of routine acceptance! I have since learnt to value everything around me and most importantly, learnt the fragility of life itself.
Air Force life is a life I had come to initially accept, then embrace and now almost own it as if it's my very own. The connections and camaraderie, the bonds we shared, the support and guidance we received , the love, friendships, sisterhood, soul connections…what can I write about that! An absolutely wonderful and incredible journey it has been full of unforgettable memories worth a lifetime and more.
Today, the man whose Destiny changed mine is no longer with me. But, all I can ever imagine is, him flying high in the bright blue skies beyond. The Air Force Blues always meant everything to him and so it meant everything to me too. It continues to mean everything…and the Blues continue to own me.🩵
Comments
Post a Comment